Saturday, August 13, 2011

Blogging

Here I am, finally getting around to actually writing something on my blog that was set up almost 2 years ago.  It hasn't been procrastination that has kept me from joining the millions already pouring their heart out to whomever is internet capable. To tell the truth, I lost the whole blog immediately after setting it up, and it took another year to find it again.  I couldn't remember where I had left it on the worldwide web, but I counted myself lucky since the car keys, kids and wallet were still present and accounted for.   Once I found it again, it took another 7 months to start thinking that I might want to look into doing something with it.  Everyone tells me I need to be writing down the things that the kids do and say, so that I'll remember it years later.  If you were paying attention earlier you'll have a pretty good idea what my memory is like these days, so I'm in agreement that steps need to be taken now to preserve their childhood.

I've already made the decision to keep things real and not sugarcoat life in the Everett household.  We are not PG.  Not even PG-13 most days.  If we were a reality show, we'd be on cable after 11pm.  But if I'm going to be documenting for prosperity, I'm going to be brutally honest.  The kids may disagree with me, when their therapist pins all of life's problems onto Great Aunt Linda reading about their episode of finger painting with poo, but we'll deal with that as it comes up.  Or we'll change therapists.  So consider this your warning, this blog is not for the squeamish or faint of heart.

Jack has started pre-school and soccer this year, and it's bittersweet for Jordan and me.  It's heart wrenching to send him off on his very first independent life experience, but it's wonderful and gratifying that we have raised someone who is confident in himself and us (he knows we will come back for him, and it's not a permanent situation), despite his communication issues. The first day was a trauma for us as parents, and I had to warn Jordan that he should tone down the stalker attitude, or someone was going to call the police about the creepy-weird guy crouched in the bushes under the window at the pre-school.  It's going to be so embarrassing for Jack when dad is still doing it in ten years.

Mitch is loving time alone with mommy while Jack furthers himself, and he gets mad at having to share me with his brother after school.  He acts like Jack is a traitor, and doesn't deserve to get hugged after deserting me (I do kind of feel deserted, Jack could at least act like he's going to miss me.).  Mitch is also testing to see just how far he can push me before I snap for good.  It's been close a couple of times, but I can still remember my name most days, and I definitely remember all three of his after saying them all day.

After spending thirty minutes writing this (it would have been less, but I had to pause to pick pizza out of the rug, and stop Jack from sneaking up behind Mitch and pulling his feet out from under him so that Mitch landed on his face), I'm not sure how often I will be back to update until I get into the swing of things, so hang in there kitten.





2 comments:

  1. Oooo! I can tell this is going to be fun! Love you, Southern Utah Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. In regard to coaching soccer, consult Aunt Bridget, aka "Killer" when she was playing soccer. Dad offered goodies if she would earn a yellow card. She was the most polite and thoughtful soccer player ever. Love the adventures!

    ReplyDelete