Friday, August 19, 2011

The week of WTH?

Jordan hurt his back last week, and 7 days later is still shuffle walking like an old man.  In fact, Daniel Trujillo (he's Mitch's friend and he's 2) called Jordan "Grandpa" last night.  Just calling it like he sees it, I guess.

Wednesday we found out that Jack's soccer coach bailed, and the entire team wasn't going to be able to play soccer this year if one of the parents didn't "step in".  Since Jack has been sleeping in his cleats for over a month now, and little Shane was yelling across the parking lot to us as we pulled in, "Hey, Jack!  We get to play soccer!", I HAD throw myself under the bus and 'volunteer' to be coach.  I played soccer when I was in Jr. High, but was always made center forward because I wasn't able to follow the rules and could never remember where exactly I was supposed to stop (I've just never been a rule kind of person. The one time I played golf, I got so bored I decided that if I could drive backwards through the sprinklers in the golf cart without getting my hair wet, I didn't have to play the 9th hole.).  But everyone seems okay with the idea of me being in charge of teaching their kids, so I suppose I'll just wing it until someone complains.  I have a friend who is sending me a Soccer for Dummies book, and I'll cram as much as I can before practice next week so I can seem a little more professional.  We had our first practice scheduled for yesterday, but I canceled it due to lightning on the field.  Not a good idea to send our babies out as human lightning rods.  So, in true Callie fashion- I invited everyone to our house for hot chocolate and snacks.  Food is the one thing I'm comfortable with.  "When in doubt, feed them" is my motto and it's never failed me yet.

Yesterday morning was a school day, so we got up early to drive the hour to drop Jack off at school.  One mile outside of town our tire blows and since I was wearing a dress, Jordan had to be macho macho man and change the tire himself.  I was flattered that he thought I was too pretty for manual labor, but I was incredibly frustrated with the stubborn fool.  He can barely breathe without wincing, but was crawling around on the ground so I wouldn't get dirty.  Bless his gallant heart.  Then the canyon was closed to one lane of traffic for construction, and we almost ran out of gas while waiting for our turn to go.  By the time we got Jack to school, he was only an hour and a half late, which I thought was pretty good all things considered.  So we went to get a new tire while we waited for school to let out.  Turns out we needed four, so there went the savings we had started for a trip to Utah for Christmas (sorry everyone).  So along with the soccer practice turning into refreshments at my house, I felt blessed to still have all my hair by bedtime.

Today I tried to catch up on all the housework that I've abandoned this week and it took almost all day because I had little people helping me.  For some reason, the boys took a dislike to the vacuum and with no communication between them that I could discern, they both ran to get plastic swords so they could beat the hell out of the vacuum as I went through the house.  Every time I turned it off, they would step back for a breather, but as soon as it started up again, it was Olympic level Whack-a-mole.  When I swept, Mitch stirred the dirt piles with the dustpan, and Jack washed the window with softscrub.  I did have a very nice afternoon when my Aunt Linda came to visit with my cousin Bart and his lovely wife Carolina.  Jordan didn't have as much fun, however because Bart is also his chiropractor and he tried to rip Jordan in half.   Caro (who is a physical therapist) warned me that men usually say their backs hurt when they want to get out of something, and that I should keep an eye on Jordan to make sure he isn't milking it.  She was totally kidding of course, but I'm starting to wonder....

3 comments:

  1. Callie didn't say the above comment. Or this one for that matter. This is Jordan. AKA Gramps.

    ReplyDelete