Saturday, November 5, 2011

Dinner and a Movie

Jordan came down from the mountain on Friday to surprise me with a family date night.  I was so touched that he made the effort to come spend time with us, that I forgave him the fact that his goal this week is to kill one of my favorite animals.  When he first turned the knob on the front door however, I kind of freaked out because I wasn't expecting anyone.  He had left me alone and unarmed (he had taken my hammer that I sleep with up to the campsite with him for the week) which caused my heart to race when I thought someone was trying to get in.  I figured it was either a bad guy or the little 13 year old handicapped girl that hangs out on our porch and calls me "coach".  Both options were equally unappealing, but for entirely different reasons.  If it was a bad guy, all I had to defend my children was pure rage and a mother bear's ferocity.  If it was Esmerelda, it meant that she was to the point of just walking in without knocking and our relationship had progressed into the restraining order stages.

 I was thrilled to find out it was neither of the two.  My next thought was that he had come home only because he was hungry and he was going to leave again just as soon as he got the tinfoil dinners he had forgotten earlier out of the freezer.  When I had found them after he left on Wednesday I'd wondered what he was going to do for food for a week, miles away from anywhere.  Worry reared it's vicious head and I had started having images of my husband huddled next to a fire, emaciated and looking forlornly across the flames at his buddy Justin who was eating a half side of beef in ecstasy.  In all actuality it was nothing so dramatic, he had left the dinners on purpose because he knew he was coming back.  What he hadn't planned on was me eating them in his stead.  Hey, just because I had visions of my husband slowly starving to death doesn't mean I had to as well!  He told me that he had been worried about leaving the dinners behind, that it might tip me off that he was coming back.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't even consider his coming back, my initial response was to preheat the oven.

So after we made plans to go shopping for more food (I'm sorry!), he told me he was going to stay the night at home so he could watch Jack's last soccer game in the morning.  Did I tell you how much I adore this man???  I think I even started jumping up and down while squealing like a Justin Bieber fan.  I've spent the last day in a dreamy fog, sighing with contentment and happiness.  Not even the game cancelation (due to weather) this morning could dampen my spirits.  I love being in love with my husband, and I love that he loves loving me enough to do sweet things, just to make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment