Monday, November 21, 2011

Signs and Signals

Do all parents look at their children at times and think that they are the weirdest little creatures imaginable, or is it just us?  I mean, are there signs we should be watching for in case we need to take steps?  Like an intervention or something?  Sometimes I worry that we are laughing off the wrong behavior, and the act of filling the dishwasher with plush toys is a tiny cry for help that we've ignored.
Both boys have their own oddities that make my husband and I look at each other with expressions meant to reassure one another.  Mitch is physically unable to keep his shirt on if we have company.  Within moments of our visitors sitting down, our two year old streaks through the room flapping his naked, skinny arms and making spitting noises.  Jordan will look at me with a sick smile and I will shrug and nod my head like I understand and it will all be okay eventually.  But I don't know that for sure, and I'm positive it shows.  Does every child cause their parents to wonder what could possibly be going through their nubile young minds?  For instance, Mitch looks deeply into the toilet to ask "Hello? Anybody there?", he sticks his head under furniture (leaving his feet laying out in the room) to rest while  contemplating life, and he dances only with his elbows (think chicken dance meets 50 Cent).  I can't keep track of how many times a week either my husband or I will shake our heads and mutter "That kid is just so WEIRD!"

Not to be out done, Jack will run through a silent house yelling "Abort! Abort!", which doesn't leave warm fuzzies in a mother's heart.  The other day I woke up to quiet movements next to my bed at 6 o'clock in the morning.  I rolled my head to the right and came face to face with my four year old.  He started doing these elaborate military hand signals, so I elbowed my husband awake to interpret for me.  Jordan moaned and mumbled that Jack was trying to tell me that he wanted us to move forward, he's got eyes on us and we were to walk carefully.  Nothing like starting your day with a list of questions to make sure it's safe to get out of bed.  Why do I need to I walk carefully, buddy?  Why aren't you talking?  Oh, and who in the world taught you hand signals?

Just when they "outgrow" one strange behavior another takes it place, so every day is interesting to say the least.  It definitely keeps us on our toes around here, wondering how the kid's are going to interpret life today.

2 comments:

  1. I used to do the same thing as mitch, sleep or meditate with only my head under furniture. It's very relaxing. it is an attempt to minimize over-stimulation. you should try it some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callie! I have some catch-up reading to do. I L-O-V-E your blogs! SO glad you're putting these things where we can read them. And be a part of your lives! How precious, and NO, your kids aren't any weirder than any others... including my own!

    ReplyDelete