Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Rage

My husband works crazy hours with his job, and as a result he goes to bed most nights around 7 p.m..  He usually turns on some music to drown out the sounds of me wrestling the children into baths, pajamas and bed because if he hears us the guilt kicks in and he feels like he needs to come rescue me.  Since he's grumpy when he's sleep deprived, I try very hard to dissuade him from getting out of bed to assist in the mayhem and I encourage the music.  That being said, I cannot believe some of the music he can fall asleep to!  Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Queens of Stone Age, Mastadon...  this is what he listens to when he wants to fall peacefully into slumber.  And because the boys always seem surprised that they need to wear pajamas to bed (regardless of a lifetime of the same ritual every night), Jordan ends up having to turn the music up rather loud to mask the sounds of our negotiations.  Last night when I entered our bedroom after getting the kids down for the night, I walked into a wall of Rage Against The Machine.  It was so loud and so chaotic that I can only imagine he had passed out in self defense rather than actually falling gently asleep.  Don't get me wrong- I like Rage Against The Machine, but its just not calming enough for me to relax to.  I'm a classical at night kind of person with some exceptions.  Bjork I could fall asleep to, mostly because the lyrics are only five words repeated for three minutes so it's basically hypnotism.  However, RATM makes me want to run five miles and eat raw meat and since I know that Jordan listens to it when he's in a similar frame of mind, I have no clue how it can also be relaxing to him.  I was so curious about it that instead of my usual routine of turning Pandora off before getting into bed, I decided to try his version.  Half an hour later I had a mosh pit of thoughts inside my head, where one wild idea slammed into another and they both went careening through a crowd of similarly crazed and random ideas.  I eventually got up to fold laundry and read something soothing by Jeffery Deaver before I could attempt sleep again.  Should I be worried for him, or impressed?  I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment