Friday, October 28, 2011

Moving quickly

Why is it that after four years of motherhood I still have ridiculously naive thoughts like "I'll quickly change the sheets on the bed, and I'll still have time to get to the kitchen to put away the milk before it gets warm."  Why did I think that?  What is it about the last four years that hasn't gotten through to me yet that there is no "quickly" anymore?  When was the last time I was able to move quickly?  When I was by myself at the grocery store last week while Jordan watched the boys, that's when.  You should have seen me, I was a virtual speed demon.  I was organized and moved gracefully and efficiently throughout the store.  I didn't stumble over anyone who had suddenly stopped 6 inches in front of my feet.  Nor did I forget anything on the list because I was distracted by sticky, wet hands grabbing random things off the shelf.  I didn't have to chase anyone down or try to find a time out location in a busy store.  I think I actually heard angels singing, and at the very least  I know I was humming 'The Jefferson's' theme song under my breath.  It took 20 minutes to do an activity that normally takes me over an hour and I left the store grinning from ear to ear.
Pre-Kid Callie could change the sheets in under five minutes.  Today felt like a victory when at the 45 minute mark I emerged from the bedroom with only a sore jaw from clenching my teeth and a headache.   The setbacks were random and many.  I had to pause to console the child I had backed into and sent flying head first into the wall.  Then take one of the pillows away from the other child and put the case back on the pillow.  I turned around to see that the first child had unpacked his dad's hunting backpack and was attempting to wear the minor's head light as a belt. After I repacked the backpack I had to stop to get someone a drink, open a pudding (I used this opportunity to put the milk away- so that's something) turn Optimus back into a truck and change a diaper.  Then someone got his car stuck in the spider web covering the piano as part of the Halloween decorations and pulled everything onto the floor trying to get the car untangled.  Every time I walked into my bedroom I was surprised all over again that the bed still wasn't made.  It didn't make any sense, how did the morning get away from me like that?  Imagine my dismay when I realized that I still had 2 more beds to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment