Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pioneer Family

We recently had the opportunity to travel to St. George, Utah to visit Jordan’s family and to walk in the parade that honored the founding fathers of the community.  One of Jord’s ancestors was one of the brave few who piled his family into a wagon and set off to settle a new land.  How harrowing and exhausting that must have been for everyone involved.  I’m grateful to know what they went through in order to establish such a beautiful place and the fact that that knowledge and all the stories that go along with it will be passed down to our children warms my heart and makes me smile.  That being said, it’s a freakin’ wonder they arrived at all.  We had fourteen people in our branch of the family that we were in charge of coordinating and we almost didn’t make it to the parade, let alone across the country.  First off, the costumes (you heard me- costumes!) were a week unto themselves.  We were asked to dress in pioneer clothes to re-enact the trek into the valley and all I can say is that it’s a good thing we were in a mormon community, where the odds are 1 in 3 that the nearest closet has pioneer costumes for every man, woman and child.  My mother in law raided those closets as well as begged, borrowed and pillaged for a week to find us appropriate attire, so I tried not to show how distressing the concept was for me.  I’m not sure why Utah cannot have a parade without pioneers in it, I guess it’s like October Fest without the chicken dance.  You know it’s coming and you even somewhat look forward to it, but when it happens you’re just embarrassed for everyone involved.  That was my initial reaction when it came time to pick out my costume for the parade.  After I let the embarrassment go however, I ended up having fun trying on full skirts and shawls.  I drew the line at bonnets however. 
Getting everyone to the designated places at the appointed times was the next major hurdle.  The morning of the parade was slightly chaotic and filled with comments like “We need to pack food for everyone.” “I’m bringing a change of clothes with us.” “Put everything on the handcart and we can pull it along with us.”  I was waiting for someone to ask if anyone knew where the 100 lb. bags of sugar were, or for Nana to say “You kids put down those bolts of cotton and get over here!”  I wanted to ask if they all remembered that this wasn’t an actual trek.  The original Everett’s had already settled this area, and today’s descendants have the benefits of cashing in on the luxury of a home in town with plumbing and a fridge.  We were walking twelve blocks in mild 80 degree weather and then coming right back to the house, but we still felt unprepared without pockets full of hardtack and gunpowder.  Once the parade actually was underway, it was a really good time and the kids absolutely loved the entire experience.  I think they ate more candy than they threw because Mitch was sticky from head to toe and his tummy was gurgling when I got him down from the wagon, but he was one very happy little boy. 

The rest of the trip was relaxing and rejuvenating for me since I wasn’t under any pressure to get Jack to school, coach a soccer game or plan a birthday party.  I just sort of sat around in between buying shoes, which is exactly what a vacation should be to my way of thinking.  Today was my first day back to the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and I was completely unprepared.  I’m still dragging my feet at returning to reality, and as a result I found myself forgetting important things like picking up my dog from my friend’s house where he’s been on doggy vacation playing with his buddy.  I also forgot to put my kids down for naps and to give them baths before bed.  But, I am unpacked and in the midst of house cleaning to get ready for Jack’s birthday party here on Saturday.  Tomorrow will be full of even more of life’s responsibilities as well as the chores I didn’t get done today.  In my head however, I’m already planning my next vacation. 

2 comments: