Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Soccer Treats

Today was a crazy, busy day in the midst of many.  School, endocrinologist, Christmas errands, car washed and vacuumed and detailed.  I was so wrapped up in checking things off my to-do list that I lost track of time. When I snapped out of it it was five o'clock and we had a soccer game that started at 5:15.  I yelled to Jordan to wake the boys and get shoes while I ran to the pantry to see if we had anything to bring for snacks.  I consoled myself all the way across town that no one besides our team is ever on time to any of the games, but isn't it the way of things that the ONLY time I am late, the other team is present and accounted for?  For all my accomplishments today, I felt like such a failure seeing my team standing around because of me.  Maybe I should start setting timers?  It could be like that game that you can only do a certain activity for a set amount of time and no matter where you are in completing it, when the timer dings, you start the next activity.  Oh, the chaos!
While it is undeniable that we will never be league champions, we ARE improving with every game.  Angelina made an awesome goal today, Evan kept up with the group and went after the ball several times. Logan got in the middle of things and stole the ball away once, Shane was on fire and listening to me, and Jack played the ENTIRE game.  Do you understand the level of dedication that takes for him?  It's never happened before!  He even kicked a penalty kick at the end of the game (I let everyone kick one so they all feel like they scored).  He has virtually no patience for the other players or rules, and if you think I can get him to wait for the whistle you are out of your mind.  But he stayed on the field and played for the entire 45 minutes which is outstanding and completely unlike him.  I think even he was impressed because all the way home he kept saying "I kick a ball."  I'm so proud of my little Warriors.  Angelina just might be my favorite female soccer player ever.  She got kicked in the head twice by a hyperactive and somewhat mean kid from the other team and she didn't cry, but she did remember.  The next time that kid got aggressive next to her, Angelina strong armed him to the ground and kicked the ball away from him.  Everyone saw it, but no one called it.  You could tell that she's got two older brothers and can handle herself.  She rocks.
Her mom brought the A-game for treats today too.  She handed out these little gift wrapped packages of lunchables, drink boxes and fruit snacks and for the second time today I felt like a loser.  My usual M.O. is to grab something off the shelves and throw it in the gym bag on the way out the door.  "I got a can of pinto beans."  "I got a bag of noodles."  "I got a rock."  No way around it, Coach Callie is not like regular Callie and there are no fresh baked goods at half time.  The one time I was organized, I brought orange slices for the kids and little Daniel Trujillo (Shane's 2 year old brother) has never let me live it down.  At the end of every game he now asks me with his sweet voice, "Coach Callie? Oranges???" and I have to look into those big pleading eyes and admit that today he's not getting oranges.  He may never again get oranges because I can't seem to pull myself together.   No, today he's getting crackers.  Mmmm.  Just what every kid wants after running around in 90 degree heat for an hour.  Not my best culinary moment.  Then again, it's not my worst either.

3 comments:

  1. Reading and laughing- and loving it! .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soccer ended for us last Saturday and I am SO glad! They're fun to watch, but 4 of them playing took up a ton of time. Tim coached Camden's team this year and we completely forgot treats on our first assigned day to bring them. We gave them double treats the next game, but it didn't really make up for it. I'm surprised you guys play for 45 minutes, our U6 league only plays for 30.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ragan, we play for 45 minutes twice a week for 6 weeks. Plus we had practice twice a week for 6 weeks before the games started. Our season goes until November 5th, and the kids are already burned out. When I put my coach shirt on, Jack says "No soccer. I don't want it." I'm glad I'm not the only one spacing out the treats. You did it once, but I forget every time. Thank goodness for the other mom's who pick up my slack!

    ReplyDelete